Logo Scottish Jewish Cemeteries Logo
Special Thanks

Back to HOME Page


We have a Special Thank You To Glasgow City Council Land and Environment Services for Help in Funding the Restoration of the Following Glasgow Cemeteries :-


Sandymount Cemetery,
21 Gartocher Terrace,
Glasgow G32 0HE
6th November 1905 - 13th November 1993

Under the auspices of the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society, this cemetery was first used in 1905 through to 1993.  After many years of neglect and vandalism, a complete revamp was made by the Sandymount Restoration Project headed by Stanley Coorsh at a considerable cost and is now in a much better condition.  It contains 2117 burials, (as at 28th January 2018), many of which are children and infants. A separate permanent memorial has been erected in memory of all the children (mainly grass covered).


Glasgow Necropolis,
Castle Street,
Glasgow G4 0UZ
12th September 1832 - 28th April 1855

Also known as "Jews Enclosure", this was the first Jewish Cemetery in Glasgow in use from 1832 to 1855.  This has been recently completely renovated, trees removed and all the head stones neatly positioned round the perimeter, as the exact location of burials was unknown.  There are 57 burials with all the names inscribed on a memorial stone at the foot of the slope.  It is inactive and well maintained. (grass covered).


Riddrie Cemetery,
1171 Cumbernauld Road,
Glasgow G33 2QS
25th November 1909 - 2nd January 2003

Riddrie Cemetery was established in 1909 by South Portland Street Synagogue but was taken over by The Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society in 1974. It was completely renovated in 2017 to a very high standard with major support from Glasgow City Council and the Glasgow Jewish Community. It contains 640 burials (gravel covered) but is no longer active.


Eastern Necropolis,
Janefield Street,
Glasgow G31 4DR
15th September 1855 - 9th March 1935

This is one of the oldest Cemeteries, having been acquired in 1853 and was in use after the Glasgow Necropolis. The first burial was in 1855, and the Cemetery was extended in 1891. In a major project, it was extensively renovated with stones being reerected by Glasgow City Council Land and Environment Services in 2018. Out of approximately 537 Burials, there are only about 160 headstones- a large number of deaths were of infants and young children most of whom were in unmarked graves. Some stones have also been uncovered outwith the “Jewish” enclosure and were included in the restoration.


Craigton Cemetery,
Berryknowes Road,
Glasgow G52 1SJ
1st November 1881 - 11th October 1908

This Cemetery was owned latterly by the Glasgow Hebrew Congregation, established in 1881 with the last burial in 1908. Most of the headstones have long disappeared, although during recent maintenance by Glasgow City Council some stones were unearthed and reerected. There are 230 burials, of which the majority are children (179 under 10 years of age). This Cemetery is inactive and well maintained. (grass covered).


Updated 10th November 2020 - DMT

Sunset in Glasgow today hrs
Contact The WebMaster
© Copyright SJC (2014-) All Rights Reserved