This is the largest of the Edinburgh Cemeteries, in use from 1889. The Jewish Section replaced the then full Newington Cemetery. The Cemetery is privately owned by the Eastern Cemetery Co. Ltd. The older section is rather badly recorded and contains quite a number of multiple burials, many children. It contains 1846 burials (as at 28th January 2018), is still active and well maintained (grass covered).