The first Synagogue in Aberdeen was established in Marischal Street in 1893 through to 1945 when it moved to 74 Dee Street and consecrated in June 1945. The Communal Hall was refurbished in 1983. After the catastrophic flood in 2017 and subsequent appeal for help, the work to restore it are nearing completion. The Cemetery was opened in 1911 and contains 69 burials, (as at 28th January 2018), in 3 rows and is still active and well maintained. (grass covered).
This is one of the oldest Cemeteries, having been acquired in 1853 and in use after the Glasgow Necropolis. The first burial was in 1855, the Cemetery was extended in 1891 and is in the process of renovation. Out of approximately 537 Burials, only about 160 headstones are visible, but more could discovered after the works are complete. Some stones have also been uncovered out with the “Jewish” enclosure (as at 28th January 2018).
Also known as “Jews Enclosure”, this was the first Jewish Cemetery in Glasgow in use from 1832 to 1855. This has been recently completely renovated, trees removed and all the head stones neatly positioned round the perimeter, as the exact location of burials was unknown. There are 57 burials with all the names inscribed on a memorial stone at the foot of the slope. It is inactive and well maintained. (grass covered).
Formerly known as Echobank Cemetery, was in use by the Edinburgh Jewish Community from 1869 to 1961. It fell into disrepair and so the Local Council placed a Compulsory Purchase Order on it and subsequently renovated it, removing vegetation and all other debris. This Cemetery was in use once Braid Place (now Sciennes House Place) became full. There are 130 burials (as at 28th January 2018). It is inactive and well maintained (grass covered).
This is the largest of the Edinburgh Cemeteries, in use from 1889. The Jewish Section replaced the then full Newington Cemetery. The Cemetery is privately owned by the Eastern Cemetery Co. Ltd. The older section is rather badly recorded and contains quite a number of multiple burials, many children. It contains 1846 burials (as at 28th January 2018), is still active and well maintained (grass covered).
Riddrie Cemetery was established in 1909 by South Portland Street Synagogue but was taken over by The Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society in 1974. It was completely renovated in 2017 to a very high standard including new paths. It contains 640 burials (as at 28th January 2018)(gravel covered).
Under the auspices of the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society, this cemetery was first used in 1905 through to 1993. After many years of neglect and vandalism, a complete revamp was made by the Sandymount Restoration Project headed by Stanley Coorsh at a considerable cost and is now in a much better condition. It contains 2117 burials, (as at 28th January 2018), many of which are children and infants. A separate permanent memorial has been erected in memory of all the children (mainly grass covered).
Formerly Braid Place Cemetery, it is the oldest Cemetery in Edinburgh. The piece of land was first purchased in 1816 and is situated between a tenement and a disused Police Station. In early years Glasgow Jews were brought here for burial. This being a very small Cemetery, the first burial taking place in 1820, when it ultimately became full, land was acquired at Newington Cemetery. It contains 29 burials (as at 28th January 2018). It is inactive and well maintained (gravel covered).
The original site was established by the Chevra Kadisha Synagogue in 1889, but was repossessed by the Western Necropolis Co. It was then acquired by Garnethill Synagogue in 1895. It is split into 3 sections, Chevra Kadisha Section, Gorbals Section and Garnethill Section. The Garnethill Section was first used in 1895 and is still in use today. It contains 916 burials (as at 28th January 2018). It is still active and well maintained (grass covered).
There was a small Jewish Community in Inverness who acquired a small piece of ground in the Town Cemetery in 1906 to cater for the Community after it felt that the long journey to Glasgow for burials was too much. Most records say its first burial was a young Russian boy aged 11 (some records say 14), however the list from the Local Authority includes a female child of 4 whom it says died and was buried in 1903. It contains 23 burials, (as at 28th January 2018), is still active and well maintained (grass covered).
The small Jewish Community in Greenock between about 1894 and 1936, had a Synagogue believed to be at 27 Cathcart Street. All burials took place at the Jewish Section of the Main Greenock Cemetery. It contains 13 burial plots, with 16 burials in total. Only 7 Stones are visible, (as at 28th January 2018) and is inactive now, but well maintained (grass covered).
Glasgow Reform Synagogue is located at 147 Ayr Road G77 6RE since about 1968 and is the only Reform Synagogue in Scotland. It has its own Cemetery Section, established in 1952 in Cardonald, and contains 183 burials (some cremations), (as at 28th January 2018). At present paths are being upgraded and refurbishment of the Prayer Hall is almost complete. This Cemetery is still active and well maintained. (grass covered).
Queens Park Synagogue was first established about 1906 and after 2 moves settled at 1 Falloch Road G42 9QX in 1926 where it prospered until 16th September 2002, when it finally closed its doors and merged with Netherlee & Clarkston Synagogue. The Queens Park Charitable Trust still uses the Jewish Section at Cathcart Cemetery for its members. The Cemetery was opened in 1927 and contains 1315 burials (as at 13th February 2018). This Cemetery is still active and well maintained. (partly grass covered).
This is one of the 3 Jewish Sections at the Western Necropolis, being the oldest established in 1889. It has a few overturned stones, but generally in good order. It contains 119 burials (as at 28th January 2018), is inactive and well maintained (grass covered).
This Cemetery was owned latterly by the Glasgow Hebrew Congregation, established in 1881 with the last burial in 1908. Most of the headstones have long disappeared. There are 230 burials, (as at 28th January 2018), of which the majority are children (179 under 10 years of age). This Cemetery is inactive and well maintained. (grass covered).
Since 2008 Sukkat Shalom, the Edinburgh Liberal Jewish Community, has reserved plots here to accommodate their burials. The plots are in the new section of this Cemetery, with an entrance on the corner of Queensferry Road and Dean Path, and lie along the southern half of the West Wall. This area contains 6 or 7 burials and there are also 2 other burials in other parts of this cemetery (grass covered).
The Jewish Section of the Eastern Cemetery in Dundee was acquired in 1888, with the first burial in 1889. It contains 156 burials (as at 28th January 2018) (grass covered).
This is the largest Jewish Cemetery in Glasgow and indeed Scotland, acquired by the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society in 1933. It is used by the majority of the Synagogues and Jewish Care Homes in Glasgow. It contains 7731 burials (as at 12th February 2018) and is in the process of restoration of some of the older areas. All fallen and unsafe stones have been stabilised and laid flat. This Cemetery is still active and in the main is well maintained by its full time staff (no grass).
The second of the 3 Jewish Sections at the Western Necropolis. There are a few overturned stones but generally in good condition. It contains 101 burials (as at 28th January 2018), is inactive and well maintained (grass covered).
There are 9 other Jewish burials scattered around Scotland in the following Cemeteries/Graveyards:- Arran, Dunfermline, Galashields, Kinloss, Lerwick, Ross & Cromarty, Shetland & Tiree. Seven of the burials appear to be War Graves. They all appear to be in good condition and well maintained.