The original site was established by the Chevra Kadisha Synagogue in 1889, but was repossessed by the Western Necropolis Co. It was then acquired by Garnethill Synagogue in 1895. It is split into 3 sections, Chevra Kadisha Section, Gorbals Section and Garnethill Section. The Garnethill Section was first used in 1895 and is still in use today. It contains 916 burials (as at 28th January 2018). It is still active and well maintained (grass covered).